Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Multi-tasking

What say we get back to the original theme of this blog - fitness...

The other day I am getting ready to go hang with the amazing gals of GNO and I have this little conversation with MV.

Me: I have come to the conclusion that am just chubby right now. I know I am not extremely fat, but I certainly am not where I want to be. Do you know what I mean?
MV: {blank stare}
Me: You know how there is this scale of your personal weight? Well I am at the top of mine and I am not liking it. I am chubby. I have to fix this. Do you know what I mean?
MV: {blank stare}
Me: I mean, it is not like I am eating really terrible and I am getting some exercise but it is just not working. Something has to be done. I am just not liking this. Do you know what I mean?
MV: {blank stare}

At this point, I realize he is actually looking kind of terrified.  It occurs to me that he is pretty much in a no-win situation. He can agree with me and say he does know what I mean, which could get him days of pouting if I decide to interpret his agreement as calling me fat. Or he can say "no" which will cause me to just explain it again several times, saying the same thing but using different descriptive words, hoping one of them will inspire understanding of my plight.

I stalk back into the bedroom and put on something very black.

Now here is the part that really took me by surprise. The next day, we were laying around and MV starts the conversation like this.

MV: You know your personal problem that I cannot say out loud?
Me: Um, you have to be more specific.
MV: That one I can't say.
Me: Um, not really. I have far too many personal problems to just guess one.
MV: Well, I can't say it in case you get mad, but I'll tell you the solution.

He went on to say that the difference between now and when I was happier with my weight was that I was running nearly everyday. The more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. It was when I was training for a marathon (which turned into a half marathon, which turned into foot surgery - thus the not running everyday anymore). His solution: Just ride your bike for 20 minutes after work. It doesn't matter if there are weeds in the yard, they will be there when you come back. When you get home, just jump on the bike before anything else gets in the way or stops you. Just do 20 minutes, that's all.

So that's the plan.

Tonight, I got home from work. I jumped on my bike and rode for 22 minutes. Even though MV made me do two laps on tandem at Addison yesterday and my legs were burning. Hey, you can do anything for 20 minutes. It is very humid today, so I was hot and sweaty and tired upon my return. I got the biggest glass from the cupboard and filled it with cold water. I then proceeded to put it down on the counter sideways (?) and dump the water all over the counter and the floor.

There you go - bike ride done and kitchen floor cleaned!

No comments: