Monday, September 19, 2005

So far, so good...

I am a bit behind, so here is the quick catch up.

TRAINING:
Saturday, Sept 10: 24.5 miles at Kensington. We were actually only supposed to do 22, but I took a slightly different route that I like better. If you are impressed that I took a route that added mileage, here is the secret. My route avoided the big hill that I particularly dislike in favor of a more gradual climb. Yeah, cheating...

Wednesday, Sept 14: Spinning at Bev Hills Club, 1 hour. Again, a good workout, feeling strong. Only negative - I had gone to the gym at lunch on Tuesday and done the weight machines so when we were doing the standing hills climb drill, my legs were telling me they would not be putting up with that. Mine was sort of a standing, oops plopping back into the seat, standing again, oops drill. Since Tuesday is the only time I can make it to the gym this week too, I think I will cut the weight on the leg portion!

Saturday, Sept 17: P, S and I showed up to do an hour swim. Pool was mysteriously closed. Instead, took a nap. Oh dear! (Was tired out from attending 2 perennial exchanges - is hard work bargaining for the best new plants!)

Sunday, Sept 18: 26 miles at Island Lake, avs 14. The group was doing 40 miles today, but I only had 2 hours to ride since we had to get to Sam's Club for a fundraiser. I did two road loops plus a little extra bit on the bike trail while M did two mountain bike loops (due to blowing out the tire on his road bike.) I saw two tiny turtles, one black and orange caterpillar and a large flock of geese in the middle of the road that hissed at me and made like to give chase. Fortunately, I am getting a bit faster on this bike and got away. Unfortunately, they were near one of my turnaround points and I just had to loop right back at them. Creatively, I yelled, "Go away geese!" which made them pause for a second and I got through again. These geese must have thought I looked tired and couldn't make another loop, as they were gone on my second time around.

Also, if you get a chance to go to Island Lake on a damp summer morning, make sure to take a look out over the fields. As I rode, the sun was just hitting the dew and you could see glittering between the tall grass seeds heads the most gorgeous spider webs. I have no idea how those spiders build their webs between two swaying stalks, but it does make for a gorgeous bike ride. All below these were little spider trampolines bathing the field in a white blanket. You have to beat the sun, as once the dew is gone, they seem to disappear. And don't even try it if you are scared of spiders - you won't want to think how many spiders it took to build all those hundreds of webs!

FUNDRAISING:
Friday, Sept 16: Sam's Club in Canton. M went about 4 and I joined him at 7 (was stuck at work). He left to skate and I stayed until 8:30. The point is that with essentially one person fundraising for 4.5 hours, we brought on $230! We have had some of the best success with bucket drives in this location. So a big THANKS to the people of Canton and surrounding areas and to Julie at Sam's Club letting us fundraise there.

Sunday, Sept 18: Sam's Club on Haggerty in F. Hills. Not as successful. M and I got there at 1, he had to leave at 2 for work, I stayed until 3:30. We got $80 overall, so not a waste of time by any means. I have noticed that Sunday is not as good for fundraising as Fri or Sat. Also, I think this location was really advertising their Katrina Fund register donation program - many people came out and said they just gave there. Can't argue with that, as I know donations are needed there too, but between Katrina and gas prices, people are really feeling the squeeze and fundraising feels like it is harder this time than on events before.

Overall, I am rather enjoying the bucket drives. I have gotten to talk to lots of great people, all about LLS and TNT or about their personal stories and how their families have been touched. I even got a "drive by donation" in F. Hills - two wonderful ladies pulled up and slipped me a donation out the car window. We are at Sam's in Canton again on Thursday, then that is all we have set up for now. Got to get back on the phone and set up some more before all the spots are filled.

No comments: