Thursday, September 08, 2005

Slacking and Spinning

Well, I have to confess, I did not ride at all over the Labor Day weekend. Not one bit. Pretty bad huh? But I did get a lot done in my yard, so it looks a bit less like a jungle and more like there might be some flower gardens in there. A bit...still a lot to do.

So after my mini vacation, I am back at it. Last night was a spinning class with Coach Steve, our TNT biking coach for Tucson. Steve is great - but more about him another time. Right now, I am sure you want to know how my slacker butt did at training. Fortunately, I felt great. I am not good at indoor exercise since I get bored easily and that leads to focusing on how many more minutes to go and how my legs are starting to hurt and how if I just went a little slower... (downward spiral). But at Beverly Hills Club (where they let us hold practices) the spin room is elevated and has a window that looks out over the tennis courts. Yep, private little tennis matches played out just for me! And since it is usually lessons, I get to see people doing all kinds of funny stuff. This really helps me to pass the time. OK, I also try to pay attention to Coach Steve and focus on how my ride is going, but the tennis really helps.

Um, as far as the actual spin class...I finally felt I was holding my own! All the time we were training for Tahoe, I felt I was not giving it my all. I know part of it was that I felt so sick that whole time and am finally feeling healthy. But I also think that I am adjusting my attitude from thinking that I am so much more out of shape than everyone else and looking jealously at their sculpted legs to thinking that maybe I can do this. And realizing that it won't happen overnight. That is huge for me. Wanting instant gratification and giving up if it is not there. Instead, I need to realize that the only way I am going to achieve the results I want is by slowly working toward that goal.

Sort of like those flower gardens...

WORKOUT LOG
9/7 1 hour spin class at BH. 10 min wu, 10 min hill, 5 min spin, 10 min hill, downhill, another hill w/sprinting and "jumps" then cool down and stretching.

No comments: